Friday, July 27, 2007

werewolf movie update...

I wasn't going to post about this, but now I just gotta.

After serious thought, several scheduling screw-ups, and a case of brown lung, I decided the time was right to disengage from the movie project.
I sent them the following email:

Movie people,

I have been thinking a lot about this. While I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to be in your movie, I don't think scheduling is going to work out.
With you shooting mostly in Bristol and me working in Franklin, MA, and my job in general, and my daughter...
I think you guys would be better off casting someone with a more flexible schedule.

Thank you again.

Swarvey

I thought this was a nice break up letter. It's not your fault, it's not my fault, this just isn't working out. Let's part, maybe not as friends, but certainly not as enemies.
I sent it three days ago.

Last night I got a call from the person I sent the mail to. I assumed it would be some level of nasty, or at the very least uncomfortable. It was uncomfortable, but not for the reasons I thought it would be.

"Hi, Swarvey?"
"Yes...?"
"Ok. This is person from the movie company..." Her voice is totally friendly.
"Ok.", I say.
"Ok.", she says. "We're going to get going with shooting again and I have the schedule here in front of me. It looks like we're going to need you on Wednesday..."
"Uhh...? Er.....?", I say with my signature flair.
"...night then again on Friday night. It looks like you'll be working closely with so and so and then later with such and such..."
"Hey? Uh... hello? Did you....?", more charm from me.
"I've been sick for the past week or so so that's why no one has heard from me..."
"Person! You haven't checked your email lately have you?" Great. I know she hasn't and now she's going to ask me why and I will have to go into a verbal explanation of why I don't want to play anymore. I didn't want to have to do this, obviously, and that's why I sent an email.
"No.", she says. "I haven't checked it for a couple of days. Why? What's up?"
A couple of days!? Who the hell isn't checking their email for a couple of days. I check my email every couple of minutes, now with the danged phone.

So we have an awkward and uncomfortable conversation about how with time and work and daughter, blah, blah. Everything in the email I sent!!
She is gracious, I have to give her that. Tells me she totally understands and says she will keep my contact information so that I can audition for their NEXT production.
I say, "Oh hey! Great! Thank you!"
I think, "Why in the name of sweet, bald-headed CHRIST would I want to get involved with you people again?"


No comments: