Tuesday, July 17, 2007

why blog?

Friends of mine who have found out I've started blogging have stated that they would never bother writing one because nothing interesting ever happens to them.
Come on, now. Something interesting happens almost every day. You just have to be open and pay attention. Is it going to necessarily be interesting to everyone? Maybe not. But what the hell? Who cares?
Here are some interesting things that happened or were said during my scene study class last night at the Gamm theater.
This is the second class I have taken in the past six months or so. First class was way beginner level. Not much experience. It was an into to acting class so this was appropriate.
Last night's class had some students with theater degrees, some who had been in several productions and others who just seemed to know what they were doing.
Damn it. I need people who are just about able to speak coherently so I appear talented in comparison. Now I'm in class with trained, experienced actors and I'll have to work. What the hell is that?
Anyway, what interesting happened?

One guy walked in wearing a "Frankie Say Relax, Don't Do It" t-shirt. But he was not able to come up with the name of the band the t-shirt represented and had never heard of Welcome to the Pleasuredome. Zang Tumb Tuum? Just forget about it. Then again, you probably don't know what I'm talking about, either, so I won't hold it against him.
Turns out he just graduated from high school. So he was, er... Let me do the math here. He was negative fifteen years old when the album was released. Bastard.

During the round table introductions, one lady mentioned that in her real life, she is a nurse practitioner, that she spends much of her time now doing presentations, but that she still gave a "mean" enema.
I couldn't help but ask, how she defined a "mean" enema.
She told me a "mean" enema was a Triple H enema. I asked if a Triple H enema meant that she put the patient in a pile driver or sleeper hold prior to insertion.
She didn't laugh much, but said, the three H's were, "high, hot and a hell of a lot".
I asked her if this was something she did for recreation, but again she didn't laugh much, so I left it alone.
There were six more enema references during the course of the evening. I won't detail each of them. Just know they were there.
During the introductions people were asked to mention what they thought good acting was or for an actor that appealed to them. One guy said, "Bugs Bunny. Because Bugs can always improvise his way out of any situation." The teacher began to explain that animation was anything but improvisational and that every frame was very carefully planned and that what the hell was he talking about Bugs Bunny is a cartoon, but the guy stopped him by saying, "I also really like The Muppets."
Now, I don't have a good read on this guy yet. I don't know if he is an innocent, and really believes what he is saying, or if he is massively pretentious and these were the most interesting, off the wall things he could come up with.

One lady mentioned a movie she had seen with a lot of real good acting in it. It was Lady Chatterley's Lover. I vaguely remember this movie had boobies in it, and could not remember a hell of a lot else about it, but she seemed to be very moved by it. If I was in a group of people I knew better, I would have made a boobies joke, but got the sense it might not go over well.
People who know me might be surprised to find out that I have the ability to self-censor.
I have a response for them, but will not print it here.

No comments: