Saturday, January 19, 2008

now with more non-podcast things...

For those of you who may not be aware that I am aware, let me assure you that I am aware.
I know that this non-blog, now with non-podcasts, thing, will never go anywhere or be anything more than that what it is, and I know why. People who like bloggy things like to go to them for specific reasons. You read one guys page because he has good information on mp3 software or video game news or good recipes or how to score with the chicks. You go there and read and listen and watch or whatever, for a reason.
Here, there is no reason. I'm all over the place.
Text, pictures, video and now sound about pop-culture, Dunkin' Donuts, the gym, my wife, and stuff that happens as I randomly go through life.
Maybe you laugh. Or chuckle. A snort perhaps. That's all I'm looking for and I don't care how I get it.

I'm okay with it being what it is, is my point.

Now, I'm attempting to venture into non-podcasts to spice up the swarveyland. I've read articles and looked at some books on how to have a successful podcast(non) and I know, everything I am going to do will be nothing that has been recommended as good practices.
It will be specific in no way at all. It will be about whatever happens to be happening. It will be of random lengths. There may or may not be a theme song, and if there is, it probably won't be on every one. It will be of varying quality depending on the devices I have handy.
The only thing that you can rely on is that if one shows up, it's there because I thought something funny happened in it.
That's it. That's as specific as it's ever going to be.

With all that in mind, here's a good example. In this episode, Steve comes up with a good point of discussion for what will be our first non-podcast.

Blu-ray or standard?

I have to put a spoiler alert on this next one. We saw Cloverfield last night. I now know what's really going on, so I know what we are talking about is not exactly a spoiler. Really doesn't spoil anything, but we are talking about something that happened in the last second of the film.
Well, the last second of the credits. The movie is listed as being 1:24 in length. A full 15 minutes of that seem to be the end credits.
The end credits go on and on and on and on. There is no score to the movie, as you are watching it all through the view of a camcorder. A soundtrack would have broken the illusion unless you had one guy constantly running around a monster-attacked NYC with a camcorder he refused to drop and another guy running around with a boombox he refused to drop.
But, they must have paid for a score to be created. Maybe the score was created before the producers really knew where they were going with the film, maybe they just had one lying around. In any case, someone wanted their ENTIRE score used.
Movie going regular geek-types know that sometimes movie makers will put a clue or something interesting either in the credits or right after the credits.
We waited and waited for the end credits to end.
Eventually they did and we were rewarded with what sounded like someone whispering through static, "Now what?"
That sets off the following conversation. The voice, in fact, is not saying "Now what?" It's saying something else.
See? That's why this is technically a spoiler though it spoils nothing.

Here you go!

Now what?

3 comments:

leej said...

Listening to you and Steve babbling about AGC and limiters and gates was very exciting. I love the non-podcasts!!!

mister swarvey said...

Well thank the Lord for that, because, as everyone knows, the following equation is true:

my life's work = pleasing leej

leej said...

That would be nice. Is that too much to ask?