Wednesday, September 5, 2007

being a good guy...

Sometimes, being a good guy and doing the right thing SUCKS.
I ran out to get a burger this afternoon. When I got back, there was a white van parked in front of my building, and a guy waiting at the door.
I was enjoying what I was listening to on the radio, so I wasn't in a hurry to get out of the car.
The guy looks at me and makes a motion like, "Hey. Come on. You gonna unlock the door?"
I don't know this guy, and I was listening to the radio. So I stared at him a little, the put up a finger saying, "Oh. Hold on random stranger, I'll let you in my building in a moment. I'm busy right now."
He SHRUGS AND ROLLS HIS EYES TO THE SKY, THEN POINTS AT HIS WATCH!!
What? What, what, what are you kidding me!?
He's pacing back and forth on the porch and keeps looking at me.
Now I'm pissed off and any desire I had to help this guy has departed me. I keep listening to the radio. And keep listening...
And keep listening...
I'm not even interested in what's going on on the radio anymore, but I am not going to hurry for this prink.
I slowly gather my crap and get out of the car and stare at the dude while I'm walking to the house.
He launches into a whole story about how he doesn't have anyone at the store and that's why he's in such a hurry and how he paid the cell phone bill for the guy he has working for him but do I think he has any minutes left on his phone?
He is obviously a guy from a store as he has two band new mattresses waiting to be moved into the building.
I open the door for him and say, "Huh. That's great."
He says, "What? Are you not happy today?"
Here's where I decided to be a decent guy and not launch into a diatribe about how it's not my goddamn responsibility to open the goddamn door for him or his goddamn mattresses. Because there would be no point. To the diatribe, not to opening the door.
But man... MAN. It would have felt good. Now I feel all bound up and I need to kick something.
I'd kick my dog but that would negate the whole trying to be a good guy deal.
Damn it.

4 comments:

Stove said...

I would sympathize a lot more if what I really took from your story was something other than you are working from home and I am stuck at work.

I love the point at the watch and roll the eyes routine. I think if he had politely walked to your car and asked nicely, you would have been more than happy to help.

Or you would have shivved him. One or the other.

leej said...

I find your assertion that you are a good guy questionable. OK guy I can get my head around. But a person who spends as much time as you do making fun of others cannot be categorized as a good guy. I'd take not a bad guy, funny guy, entertaining guy, engaging guy but good guy, I am not sure. I know that this post will incur some kind of wrath, because that is what good guys do of course.

mister swarvey said...

Steve was right.
I should have shivved Lee.

Johnny said...

javascript:alert("just checking")

hackers'r'us