Wednesday, September 19, 2007

report from the honeymoon...

Thanks to everyone who came to the ceremony out at the old Blake place. It was a wonderful day for us and in general, everyone seemed to have a good time, which only made it better for Jenn and I.
I am now in a 3rd world country and I didn't know I was going to one. It's okay. We spend a lot of time at the resort. This place has been somewhat north American-ized, so I can deal, but the rest of the island looks like a major storm just came through all the time.
And it is hot. I thought I had been hot before, but I was mistaken. When we paintballed a couple of weekends ago, we were all hot from running around with helmets on in the sun shine. Right now, sitting here typing, I feel exactly the same, just without the fake machismo of a paint gun in my hand. Now I have the fake machismo of a significant tan and a pair of giant, Euro-styled sunglasses. Not the same.
There has been quite a lot of nothing going on. We are taking it easy and that's okay. It's like taking a deep breath when you're used to panting all the time. I'm generally pretty anxious to get on to whatever the next thing I need or want to do is, but as there isn't a lot to need to do or want to do, this anxiety has departed. I generally cannot sit still for any length of time, but I'm doing okay with it.

Here are a couple of interesting quotes so far.
The night we got here, there was a dance demonstration going on in the lobby. Everybody was dressed like for Carnivale and moving pretty good.
We were sitting by the pool when a largish lady came out from watching the demonstration. She said, "Wow. They really teach them eighteen year old girls how to move their pelvis. If I had a camera, and I remembered to bring it, I might have thought about taking a picture of them."
I don't think I've ever heard a less enthusiastic statement of kind of regret.
We met up with an elderly couple at the car rental place who happen to be staying at the same resort. They have been coming to the island for a long, long time and offered to show us around. It was appreciated.
Ray, the husband, offered this piece of advice concerning driving on the island.
"The thing about driving around here is this, you just need to stay on the road and remember where to turn."
This is good advice.

No comments: