Wednesday, September 12, 2007

fake video titles...

I don't watch nearly enough television, apparently. I keep missing important pop-culture-y events when they are actually happening. Then I have to look up the stuff that I missed on the YouTube.
This has become a frustrating endeavor.
Current case.
Everyone is talking about how bad Britney looked and performed and generally came across as a human being on the VMAs the other night. Now, I'm not going to WATCH the VMAs, for christsess sake, especially because I know if something interesting happens, it will be almost immediately available on the global MegaNet.
As I have some time on my hands at the moment, I thought I would take a peeky at what the Brit did now.
However, the YouTube is overrun with people who have titled their stupid videos misleadingly. And fine, I get that this happens and that this is not a new phenomenon. I know. I just don't get it. What, you trick people into looking at your crap for 5 seconds until they realize that your crappy NuMetal band isn't really Britney Spears? Why? What could that possibly get you?
An increase of one in your video veiwership? Okay. And that is worth... what?
It's like cheating in an online first person shooter. So you kill a bunch of guys and your score is very high but you didn't really do much of anything.
Mostly I am lost on the concept. I guess, if you look at the less beautiful side of humans, you could say pleasure of some kind could be derived from the knowledge that you're tricking people, I guess. It's just not that clever a trick and you're not really TRICKING anyone. It's like walking around to everyone in your office and doing the "I got your nose!" gag on them. I would wager, depending on where you work, that you would not get anyone with that joke. They would immediatly know that you did not, in fact, have their nose, and the most you would accomplish is annoying everyone and possibly getting a pop to the chops.
Playing Devil's advocate for a second, the annoyance alone might be the thing.
And also, what if, bear with me now and open your mind, what if you were able to actually GET an adult with the "I got your nose!" gag. How satisfying would that be?
But now I have to get back on the other side of the argument. There are so many people using fake video titles to trick people into looking at their slop... Imagine if everyone in your place of work decided to pull the "I got your nose!" gag on each other all day.
It would be boring, you would get no work done, and everyone would have a Karl Malden nose.
nose

That's what your bringing us to, people who use fake video titles on YouTube. Karl Malden nose.
Think about it.

No comments: