Friday, October 19, 2007

smoking ban and urinal action...

The Oakland City Council in California has banned smoking in ATM lines, at parks, bus stops and outdoor dining areas. So, outside. They have made it illegal to smoke in areas outside now.
The news was asking people in California how they felt about it. Apparently, they only asked non-smoking NAZIs, because everyone was thrilled about it.
"It's great."
"I love it."
"Oh thank goodenss."
"It's really about time."
"To hell with them and their cigarettes. I hope they all get hit by a dumptruck anyway!"

I am a non-smoker. I don't like the smoke stink or the way it smells. I like that I will die with nice, pink, lungs.
But, banning smoking outside, seems like crossing a line to me. Feels like borderline babysitting. Can I not, as a non-smoker, just alter my path a little bit? Do I have no responsibility to my own health and need a big brother to keep me safe?
Maybe they should pass laws banning all sharp edges. Everything should be round and bouncy.
Hmm. Actually, a round and bouncy world sounds appealing to me.

In other news, I went to the bathroom the other day. There was a fellow standing at the urinal beside the one I was going to use. He was using the urinal. He had his hands on his hips while he used the urinal. This by itself is odd.
Now, I was not watching this chap at the urinal though it is about to sound like I was. However, when you are using a urinal, the other urinal is just not that far away and it's hard to not notice stuff. Especially if you have borderline ADD and tend to notice much of the world that really could go un-noticed.
So, out of the corner of my eye, I see the dude who was standing at the urinal not change his body position at all and walk away from the urinal.
Let me see if I can paint this for you.
He's standing with his hands on his hips, using the urinal.
With his hand STILL on his hips, he walks away.
I see none of the pantomime I associate with completing his use of the urinal and requisite putting away of his equipment.
He walks out of the bathroom.
I expected to hear women screaming and alarms going off, but nothing happened.
Oh, he was another guy who just jogged on past the sink without washing.
Now I gotta picture the guy jogging with his hands on his hips and his shame hanging out. His "doodle" to use a Flanders-ism.

I hate that I notice this crap, because I have to talk about it and people wonder about me.
What did he do? Is he a magician? Was one of his arms fake? Does he have incredible lower abdomen muscle control and can withdraw himself like a human tape measure? Does he have force-field pants and pulls himself in with a tractor beam?

And... if any of this is true and he can work the whole using the urinal thing without touching anything, well, I guess he doesn't need to wash his hands.

2 comments:

Mark said...

The Elders tell of a young ball much like you. He bounced three metres in the air. Then he bounced 1.8 metres in the air. Then he bounced four metres in the air. Do I make myself clear?

mister swarvey said...

Yes. It is all very clear now.

It is clear the men with the cozy, arms-behind-the-back jackets need to come for you.