Tuesday, October 16, 2007

some stuff...

Sorry I haven't been posting as regularly lately. I've been caught up in the trying to get a voice over thing going. It's taking up a lot of my free time.
It's not the easiest thing to get involved in. Hard to find the paths to where the jobs are and hard to get the jobs when you do.
I bought a book on the subject, hoping for some insight/answers. I will condense the contents of the book for you now. It says, more or less:
"There are 15 times more people trying to get work as voice over professionals as there are people trying to get work as stage/film/television actors. Thank you for buying my book. Give up now."
I wish I had skipped to the last page before buying the book.
I never was very good at listening to advice from people who know what they're talking about, so I've not given up.
I'm still auditioning through the voices.com website and for the most part, don't really care if I get a job or not. I'm trying to get my voice and technique down, but lately, my throat has been closing when I step in front of the microphone. It's nerves.
Working on it...
Some of the scripts that are presented through the site are downright weird, but they give an understanding of just how wide reaching is the need for voice-over talent.
Yesterday, the Jenny Craig corporation presented a script for an upcoming sales kickoff meeting. They want someone to read as though they were the voice on the tape at the beginning of the Mission Impossible television show. However, they want the voice read "with a slight Swiss or French or at the very least European accent".
No problem. I'll get right on that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mister Swarvey,

I'm glad that I found your blog and was able to learn about your experiences getting started in voice acting.

Have you uploaded a sample of your voice on the website? If so, please send me the link to your website at Voices.com so that I can hear what you sound like.

I'd love to know more about your progress. Please keep me posted :)

Best regards,

Stephanie Ciccarelli
Co-founder of Voices.com