Monday, October 22, 2007

tim horton's and bike news...

On Saturday morning, I had a hankerin' for an iced coffee, which is weird. As I am not a massive ass I wanted to get Jenn a tea as well. I went looking for beverages.
The Dunkin' Donuts were crammed full of jerks looking for beverages and totally disregarding the Swarvey Is The Center Of The Universe rule.
I ran out of patience, again, weird, and decided I'd head on over to the abandoned Tim Horton's who is barely surviving in the jungle full of Double D's.
Tim Horton's is like going to a foreign country. There are a lot of things in there that are similar to what I am accustomed to, but not exactly the same.
Also, similar to a foreign country, the measurement systems is alien to me.
I ordered a large iced coffee and a large hot tea, and got this:

How can this giant vat of iced coffee and this smallish to reasonably sized cup of hot tea both be considered a "large"?
Oh that Tim Horton is a crazy guy.

In other news, I bought my daughter a nifty new bike and helmet combination as she did not have one for when she was with me and hauling her bike from her Mom's house was getting to be a drag.
I continue to be stupidly tickled by the sight of her on her bike, riding well and enjoying it. When she said, "Want to see how fast I can go?", I was even more stupidly excited.
She loves to go fast, she always has. One of my fondest memories of her is from our first trip to Disney world. We went on Space Mountain. She was sitting in the seat in front of me in our car. I could barely see the top of her head. But as the ride progressed, I could see her little fists pumping into the air and hear her screaming above the clacking noise of the ride, "FASTER!! FASTER!! WOOOOOO!!!!"
So, she went to the top of the parking lot outside our building waited for me to say, "Ready, Set Go!", then tore off down the parking lot.
Halfway through the parking lot, she lost it. Handlebars wiggled a little bit, she over-compensated, turned the handlebars way too far in the other direction, the bike stopped... and she got a lesson in inertia.
She did a total Superman over the handle bars, but then quickly followed up with a total Greatest American Hero. She landed mostly on her face. Splat-o.
There was a terrifying second when she didn't move or make any sound. It was very similar to when she was an infant and would fall and her mind and body needed a couple of seconds to line up and get their acts together before she started screaming.
She did eventually start screaming. I took me a lot longer than should have been reasonable to get to her. When I got to her, she looked up at me and parts of her teeth fell out onto her shirt...

I need a second here to settle down...

Okay. So. She's screaming and crying and parts of her teeth are falling out. But it's a scream, not a shriek and when I poke her in various places the scream does not increase in volume. She can stand, she can move her fingers and arms and she seems coherent. I have to tell her she's okay to calm her down, which is hard with the blood and the teeth pieces.
The panic and the screaming last for maybe a minute. I'm proud of her for the way she handled it. She was more concerned about having to go to the doctor than she was about the level of actual damage that was done to her.
She did give her teeth a good smashing, though.

1 comment:

smallchild101 said...

daddy i still don't how that happened!?!