Sunday, March 16, 2008

horton hears a... what!? revisit...

I so don't like the pro-lifey types, but not for the easy to guess reasons. I went to the Horton movie with smallchild and the movie itself was just fine. Funny enough with some astounding visuals, it was certainly one of the more entertaining children's movies I've seen in a while.
What was annoying was the fact that the question of if it is a pro-life or not was in my head. The story of Horton has been in my awareness since kindergarten. Never did I wonder what the message was. Beyond the being a good, supportive friend is a nice way to live one, I mean.
Now, because of the pro-life crowd, I was wondering. The context connection shouldn't even be in my head at all.
I found myself questioning what the movie was really about. Jerkwadasses.
In case you missed it in a previous post, pro-lifewads protested outside the premiere of the film. This is odd a little, but for reasons other than the obvious ones.
If they thought the movie was supportive to their cause and way of thinking, why protest? Buncha weirdos.
Here's their logic. The central point of the story is:
A person's a person no matter how small.
Get it? That's the theme they're rallying around. Because a single cell is really a person, too. A person in a town with funny contraptions... Kinda loses me, really.
They must also dig the fact that the mayor of Whoville has 96 children. There does not appear to be much family planning support of any kind. There is a Whodentist, but I didn't see a Whoclinic anywheres about.
So pro-lifes see that the movie is a pro-life parable kinda deal.
I hate that I was even wondering if they were right.
IF that is what it is, it comes out of a mind that is challenged. I mean, challenged beyond just weird rhyming structure/bizarre visuals writer guy stuff.
I mean factually challenged.

The other big repeated statement in the movie is:
An elephant's faithful,one hundred percent.
One hundred percent is a lot. Its more than you think. If you are in technology you understand.
If you sell some network or data supplying thing to some dude, you cannot promise 100% uptime. If a customer wants his thing to be available to him most of the time, like 99.999% of the time that's a LOT and it is a very expensive promise to pay for. If you wanna slap another 9 on the end there, the price skyrockets.
99.99999% uptime is the Holy Grail.
100% is not possible.
If an elephant was faithful, one hundred percent, you would never, ever see one go all squish-the-guy when it is mistreated.
But you do. Yes, you do.
If one central point is inherently flawed, the other must be as well.
A person's a person, not matter how small, but let's not be unreasonable.

1 comment:

Pat R said...

The outcry against abortion seeks to end abortion by changing the laws of the land. i wonder if this is appropriate from Christ's point of view?

Constantine did something similar when he declared that Rome should be Christianized (and i summarize) by sticking a cross on the top of formerly pagan temples and creating a class of paid religious experts. The lesson Christians should learn from Constantine is: The worst thing Christians could do to the their faith is make it state-sanctioned.