Friday, March 21, 2008

sorry about that...

Stove, smallchild and myself just went to the local mall to enjoy a Good Friday lunch consisting mostly of red meat.
Also, I had to go to the Apple store. Shut up.
On the way out, we were noticing signs which read, in effect:

Please use our new machines inside the mall to pay for your parking before you go out to you car.

It said, please do. I did not say, you must. The machines are spread out within the various levels of the mall, but of course, everyone was trying to use the one right near and entrance/exit. They formed a long line, and I didn't feel like waiting. Stove mentioned that the lines were probably so long because people were assuming it would be impossible to get out unless you paid at an inside machine. We actually heard people having a conversations saying exactly that.
I assumed that this is a transition period and that they are moving towards customer HAVING to pay inside before going outside. They would be out of their mind to think they could throw up a couple of signs and everything would be okay and that people would just comply. Or even NOTICE the signs.
I was correct.

When we got to the exit to the garage, the cashier booths were still manned and they were still taking money just like before.
I was curious about what the process was going to be in the future. As I was paying the cashier, I asked if the mall was moving towards a total "pay inside" structure.
She said, "Yes."
I said, "Okay! Thanks!"

As soon as I thanked her, I realized I had essentially asked, "Hey, are you being made redundant? Hey, is your livelihood being done away with? I only ask so that I will be prepared for the inconvenience/aggravation your being displaced from your employment will cause me next time I need accessories for my iPhone. Okay, thanks, soon-to-be-force-reduced person!"

I didn't mean for that to read like a Brian Regan bit, but it does.
Oh well.

3 comments:

smallchild101 said...

if u told stove aka steve to not say the apple store then why did you.

Mark said...

ooo, ooo, what did you get? It is iCool?

mister swarvey said...

It is not that cool, oh anonymous awkwardly named one. It is an adapter for the headphone jack so normal headphone jacked cords can attach to the phone.

It's one of the few things I really don't like about the phone. Mostly it is excellent, but there are a few bumps.