Tuesday, March 4, 2008

play writing class...

Instead of writing about what happened at the play writing class I am taking, I will show you some of the things I write while I am taking it.
Interesting, right?

Let's go.

Last night was the first night of the class. One of the exercises was to have another member of the class pick a picture for you out of a large selection. When you have your picture, you were to write a monologue based on the character in the picture as you perceive him/her.
We had about ten minutes to write.
Here's my picture, and what I wrote. Enjoy.


So it's been, what now? Sixty minutes?
An hour I've been sitting here with this stupid picnic basket waiting for him.
I mean... a picnic basket.
It's not like I had a picnic basket sitting around the house waiting to be used, you know. No. I had to go out, specifically, to purchase one.
And now, I own one.
And he hasn't even called me.

I can't believe I was excited. I think, unless I am totally delusional, which I have not discounted, that I was actually humming, "Saturday, in the park, I think it was the fourth of July...", while I was making the frigging peanut butter and banana sandwiches he asked for then tucking them into my brand new picnic basket.

Picnic basket. Stupid thing. If I don't hear from him in five minutes, I am going to set it on fire. Then I am going to smoke another cigarette. Then, I might cry a little bit. Then I am going to find him, light another cigarette and kick him.

Damn it.
I'll probably just go home.
But I am definitely smoking more cigarettes.

5 comments:

Stove said...

To me she looks like she is from a film. She looks the opposite of tense. She looks, in fact, like she is ready for Mr. Right to come and pick her up and take her anywhere. The French made films about these women in epic numbers in the 50's. She looks like she belongs in one of those, although she could use culottes.

Stove said...

Specifically, she reminds me Jean Seberg:

http://libcom.org/files/images/library/Jean_Seberg_8212.jpg

mister swarvey said...

Hey man. I get a sense of tense with potential for pissed-off-edness.
Besides, women always seem to be at least slightly aggravated when I am in proximity.

All Welcome He Who Shall Now Be Known as STOVE!!

Mark said...

It's not a picnic basket, its a rattan hula hoop, and she's taking a break before she continues her busking.

But then again it has been fairly well established that what pops into my head is unreliable at best.

mister swarvey said...

Your cranium is too large to refer to things entering as them "pop"-ing in.
They would enter with some kind of uh... maybe...
DSBOSPIT.WAV sound!!