Tuesday, August 7, 2007

why blogging is good for me...

I enjoy the process of defining thoughts and presenting them in a somewhat interesting manner. This is why I enjoy blogging, but it is not why blogging is good for me.
When I say good for me, I don't really mean on some deep emotional level. We will not be cleansing our chacras together.
Blogging is good for me, because I have a mind like a seive. I completely forget stuff that has happened to me. Stuff that you would think would stand out in someone's mind.
A recent example:
Me, Steve, Cindy and 360 were out the other night and they referenced another night when we were at a club and I was "totally checking out a transexual".
I don't remember this in the slightest. Doesn't even ring a bell and NOT because I am concerned about how it would make me look. Anyone who knows me knows I am too dumb to care about what people think. (I am coming to an age where the anti-establishment thing might be becoming slightly sad. I haven't figured out how to care, yet, though.)
Apparently I was very open in my staring. I might even have spoken to this person. I might have bought them a drink. The details are sketchy. Steve and Cindy say that I left the club with them, so there isn't even the possibility of my having had some sexual experience worthy of blocking out.
And this is just the most recent example, not the only example, so let's not make it all about the transexual, okay?
My point is this. Interesring things happen and some time later, I have no memory of them at all. So its good to have an ongoing log of stuff I can refer back to.
I think these memory lapses have to do with my ADD like functionality. I say "like" because its never been diagnosed, but I have almost no ability to focus and filter out my surroundings. I hear and see everything all the time. Which is cool if you want to make fun of a co-worker for having uneven sideburns, but not so cool when you have to, say, sleep. I need fans running to supply true white noise. True white noise has no pattern to it. Some white noise generators, at least the ones I've tried to use, are not truly random and if your brain is wired the right way (or the wrong, depending on your point of view) the repetition becomes more distracting than what the white noise was supposed to cover. You probably haven't a clue what I'm talking about.
Its not good for grocery shopping because I have to hear every horrible song they play on the Muzak system.
And its not good for studying. I made it through school because I'm reasonably intelligent, not because of all the studying I did.
Reasonably intelligent. Yeah. Read about 7/8ths of Flowers For Algernon. That's where I am. Smart enough to know I should be smarter.
But hey, I was smart enough to make a Flowers For Algernon joke, so screw you.
What does having ADD or something like it have to do with gaps in my memory? There's just not enough room in my buffer. I constantly take in everything all the time and cache needs to be flushed, I guess.
While you could say that making a cache joke points to being smart, I can take no credit. I work in a data storage program where memory concepts are pounded into our heads.
I only remember because someone brought it up yesterday. By Friday? Poof!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...interesting. I think you should start your own blog, whoever you are. "The elusive postal worker"

Anonymous said...

http://www.icn.ucl.ac.uk/facetests/index.php

Interesting because I was just being made fun of for my complete and utter lack of recognizing someone very shortly after having met them. Even if I've had a conversation with that person, there is a good chance I will not remember them for very long. Not great as a sales person. My co-workers made me take the above test claiming I have prosopagnosia.
Ya, big word, I don't have that though. It's probably more in line with your ADD.

And how come I can't see the comments on here????

Stove said...

Hey Renee!

Remember me?

Oh. wait. I don't think you can see this.

And frankly, given the fourth person in our party that evening, I'd probably rather have your memory loss than my memory function, but this isn't the place to make fun of other anonymous people is it? Or is it?

Stove said...

I hate that I can't edit my comments.

that last line was meant for Swarvery, not Renee. In case that wasn't clear.