Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A-hole or stupid dork-ass...?

The question of whether an individual is a horrible person, or just a total dope who doesn't know any better, is a prevalent one.
I have an example, but I will present someone else's other example as a clarifying example first.
Steve has a fellow who is renting from him. In the interest of keeping all of Steve's information as private as possible, I will not even mention the first name of the guy who is renting from him.
Let it be known that all people with the same first name as this person, suck.

Steve, being the kind hearted and somewhat dopey landlord he is, allowed Ra... the guy, to utilize his, Steve's, wireless network for 10 bucks a month. This is a nicety that is totally outside what is required of any landlord.
Almost immediately, Steve's intraWEBZ connection speed dropped off dramatically. He also received email from his ISP stating that he must both cease and desist the sharing of the copy write-d material he was sending out on-the-line.
Steve went and asked his tenant what the deal was. His tenant said, "Oh. Sorry, dude. I am torrenting all kinds of movies and crap."
Steve, nicely, asked him to stop.
A couple of days later, Steve had another drop in his connection speed. He looked at his router logs and saw all kinds of connections out to IP address from nice places like Kenya and Kaflakastan.
Steve went and asked his tenant what the deal was. His tenant said, "Oh. Sorry, dude. Now I don't know what's going on."
The dude then asked his girlfriend what the deal might be. She might know, because she was on her laptop using Steve's encryption key which tenant decided to share.
Steve posed the question to me, "Is this guy a massive A-hole, or is he simply stupid-dorkass?"
I contend that he is probably oblivious to the impact he is having on the world and that MAKES him an A-hole. However, he probably isn't malicious in his intent.
Prolly.

I think, when you find yourself asking the question of A-hole or stupid-dorkass, your immediate response to yourself should tell you something about the reality of you.

Here is an example from my morning.
I was at Dunkin' Donuts.
Here is an approximation of what the parking lot looked like when I came out from getting my iced coffee:

It's a little blurry, I know, but that finger is pointing to the area where the Dunkin' Donuts was located in relation to the parking lot. It is relevant.
The car that is not green, is mine.
Extra points to anyone who can name where the cars came from.

As I was preparing to leave, and by leaving I mean pulling forward since there is no one parked in front of me, this truck comes into the scene:


Given the available parking place configuration, and where the Dunkin's Donuts is, where would you park? The parking place closest to your destination, the one that would not at all obstruct the forward momentum of the car trying to leave? Or, would you chose the one that is farther away from your destination and that DOES impede to forward movement of the car attempting to leave?

Guess where the truck started pulling in:


Without really thinking, I did:




This maneuver caused the driver of the truck to slam on his breaks, flap his hands in the air in frustration and stare at me open-mouthed. I did my best to ignore all of the above behaviors and just drive away.

Quickly, almost unconsciously, the question went through my mind. A-hole or stupid-dorkass?
What says a lot about me, I think, is that I assume that the only way a person would make that decision is because they felt the need to inject themselves into someone else's day. To cause some minor disruption. Just because.
That's what I think.
And I think that says that inside I basically see people as evil, at least with the little "e".
I think if I asked a number of people what they thought about this incident, many of them would say, "I'm sure he didn't even realize what he was doing." Maybe, they might also add, "Don't you think you put a lot of energy into pondering things that no one really cares about?"
I believe those people think that human beings are basically dumb and oblivious.
Which is worse?
Dunno.

The other thing this makes me think, is this:
I KNOW in that situation I was right. I KNOW he was wrong.
However, I KNOW that he KNOWS he was right.

He will probably relate this story to his friends, though possibly without the un-needed detail of all the GIMPed pictures.
How will he tell the story?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

All people basically suck and are evil.

leej said...

OK, I know you will hate me or at very least be annoyed for this addition. But you are annoyed at a guy who may not have seen you pulling forward to leave. However you are using the spot in front of you as a thru-way. From my perspective you are equally to blame for the situation. He was looking at you theoretically saying "WTF I wanted to park there and this guy is driving thru".

Do I get banned for disagreeing with you now?

mister swarvey said...

Why would I hate you for this post when you offer such a wide degree of hate-able options?

Luckily for you, I don't get nearly enough readers to want to ban anyone, including you.
Just you wait until my readership trends over 10...

Stove said...

Grand Theft Auto 1 or 2?