Friday, February 29, 2008

i hear this sound all the time...

This is one of those sounds you hear all the time without really realizing it.

Listen to the sound that's played at just about 1:51 into this trailer, just as the zombie looking dude's head pops up.


Does it sound familiar to you at all? It should. It's in a lot of stuff, especially where there is fire, or a Ford truck needs to appear, or you are watching the preview for any old action movie at all.

Here it is in it's full form.

When you hear the whole thing, is it more familiar? To the dudes I tend to hang with, it very much better be.
It's the sound from the last level of DOOM II, when the boss room or The Icon of Sin, or whatever, throws the cubes at you.
Check it:


Even if you have not played this game, I guarantee you have heard this sound. It's called DSBOSPIT and I wish I could find out more about it. Like, was it created for DOOM II or did it exist before and how the hell was it made?

Let us look around the GlobalMEGAnetZ.
Ah. We find this, from doom.wikia.com trivia page:

Did you know that many sound effects used in classic Doom games were acquired from Sound Ideas' General series sound effects library, which is why they can be heard in various movies and television shows?

Also, from a doom.wikia page about the Icon of Sin level:
The launch sound of the skull cube is used in many television shows and movies. One such movie is the documentary Hawking's Paradox about physicist Stephen Hawking. This is because the sound (among many other Doom sound effects) was acquired from Sound Ideas' General series sound effects library.

If you go Sound Ideas' main page and listen to the demo, which is 6:26 long, so I assume I am the only dope who will actually do so, you'll hear several sounds that were used in the production of DOOM II, but not DSBOSPIT. However, just because you don't hear it in that front page demo, or in any of the other, er... 10 or 15 demos I listened to on the site, does not mean it didn't come from them. I believe it did come from them, but it's a very popular sound so they keep it out of the demos so peoples can't steals it.

To do some more research into the creation of the sound or even to what Sound Ideas' calls the original file, which is something I really want to know, I went to the DOOMWORLD Forums.
I was going to register for the forums, when I caught myself slipping down a rat-hole of unneeded energy usage. More accurately, I caught myself slipping further down the rat-hole of unneeded energy usage I was already in.

I'm going to bed.

5 comments:

WWWWolf said...

I can't remember where I found this, but I once copypasted the answer from some website. Apparently, it's on disc 6015, track 28-1: "Fire,Ball - Impact and large fire burst, rumble." Of course I don't have the library so I can't verify...

mister swarvey said...

Thanks wolf! That's interesting information.
Appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a million for excavating this info... This has been bugging me for years and years, and I *knew* the effect was from Doom, but I never had the energy to find out what it was. In my opinion it rarely fits when it's used though... but I guess that's just due to thinking about it too much. Too bad that it doesn't have a cool name like the Wilhelm Scream, DSBOSPIT doesn't quite cut it :)

SiPlus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eridanus said...

That sound is actually a lot older than I ever thought it was. Turns out, it was also used in the movie Dragonslayer (1981), at about 1:15:01, as Galen (Peter MacNicol) magically appears with a puff of smoke.

Unless, of course, the movie was remastered later on and the sound was added in :)